Adventurer Tips: Feeding a Sting Ray
When you enter The Sea of Shallows in Sea World, Orando, you are greeted by the towering coaster, Manta. On this ride, you are gliding through the air and water just as the majestic animal does. Nearby, there are two spots where you can see the sting rays in action; the Manta Aquarium and the Stingray Lagoon and Feeding. The Lagoon has a wide array of stingrays and even an area to seem the babies, or pups. You can pet the stingrays from anywhere along the shallow pool or, for a fee, you can feed them! Here are some tips from my experience:
- Good points about this feeding area: all shaded and I have never seen many birds around
- I have seen the window offers two types of food for the rays, shrimp or fish.
- Take all of your jewelry off your arm, your hand will go pretty deep into the water. Keeping electronics away is also probably a good idea.
- Hold the food between two fingers and lay your hand on or near the bottom of the pool, the rays glide right over you and suck the food out of your hands.
- Do not be afraid of getting bitten, their teeth are on the inside of the outer lip area, so you will not even be near the teeth when they get the food from you.
- It feels weird when you do it for the first time, don't get too startled and know they can't hurt you.
- Be prepared to be splashed! They glide by at the edge of the water and it creates quite a splash.
- When finished, throw all the containers in the garbage and head to the hand washing stations or the nearby bathroom.
Any questions? Let me know about your experiences feeding the animals at SeaWorld and if you want to try this for yourself, send me a message to start planning your trip today!